"it’s real life, real relationships, and very real sadness. The damage they (news outlet) have done and continue to do runs deep," she said in a statement
Most of us know about the letter Meghan Markle sent her estranged father after her royal wedding to Prince Harry, but the fact of the matter is that people were not supposed to know of it in the first place. It was a private letter that the Duchess of Sussex had intended for only her father to read. Markle had since taken legal action against UK's Mail for publishing the letters and has now won the case.
"After two long years of pursuing litigation, I am grateful to the courts for holding Associated Newspapers and The Mail on Sunday to account for their illegal and dehumanizing practices," the 39-year-old said in a statement to Fox News. "These tactics (and those of their sister publications MailOnline and the Daily Mail) are not new; in fact, they’ve been going on for far too long without consequence, for these outlets, it’s a game. For me and so many others, it’s real life, real relationships, and very real sadness. The damage they have done and continue to do runs deep," she further added.
"The world needs reliable, fact-checked, high-quality news, what The Mail on Sunday and its partner publications do is the opposite. We all lose when misinformation sells more than truth, when moral exploitation sells more than decency, and when companies create their business model to profit from people’s pain. But for today, with this comprehensive win on both privacy and copyright, we have all won. We now know, and hope it creates legal precedent, that you cannot take somebody’s privacy and exploit it in a privacy case, as the defendant has blatantly done over the past two years. I share this victory with each of you—because we all deserve justice and truth, and we all deserve better," the Duchess further said. "I particularly want to thank my husband, mom, and legal team, and especially Jenny Afia for her unrelenting support throughout this process," she concluded.
Judge Mark Warby said that the Associated Newspapers misused Markle’s private information, publishing portions of a handwritten letter to former Hollywood lighting director Thomas Markle, after her 2018 royal wedding to Prince Harry. The judge said the duchess "had a reasonable expectation that the contents of the letter would remain private. The Mail articles interfered with that reasonable expectation," Fox reported. Markle had sued the publisher for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement. Associated Newspapers had contested the claim, and a trial was scheduled for the fall. The duchess then asked for a summary judgment to settle the case without a trial. At a hearing last month, her lawyer, Justin Rushbrooke, argued that the publisher had "no real prospect" of winning the case and went on to state that the "deeply personal" five-page letter was intended for her father alone.
The defence argued that the letter was written as part of a media strategy to rebut a negative view conveyed by her father, and was done so with help from the Kensington Palace Office's communications team. Though Markle has won her case on privacy grounds, the judge stated that a "limited trial" should be held to decide some of the copyright issues, reported Fox news.