Teenager Walks In Front Of Train As He Wanted To Be With His Mom Who Was Murdered By His Own Dad

Teenager Walks In Front Of Train As He Wanted To Be With His Mom Who Was Murdered By His Own Dad

On March 31, the 17-year-old decided to be with his mother and walked right in front of a moving train.

Content warning: Depression, PTSD, abusive parents, rape, suicide

A heartbreaking incident unfolded in County Durham where a teenager, who "wanted to be with his mum" walked in front of a train. According to Chronicle Live, 17-year-old Jamie McKitten had a traumatic childhood after his own father murdered his beloved mom Kelly while he hid in his bedroom. The resident of Great Lumley was just four years old at the time of the crime. His father Stuart Cummings was handed a life statement after raping and brutally beating Kelly to death in 2008. 

On March 31, he decided to be with his mother and so he walked right in front of a moving train. He was unfortunately struck and killed on impact. An inquest into his death was immediately launched and last week during a hearing at Crook Civic Centre it was revealed that Jamie had a traumatic childhood that continued haunting him throughout his life. Jamie's maternal grandmother Shelley, who had been caring for him since his mother's demise, recalled hearing the teenager cry at night. 



"He would say how much he wanted to be with her and would cry at night, he couldn't remember the sound of his mother's voice," she noted. "He had a lot of hatred for his father, he couldn't understand what he had done." Although Shelley did everything to provide for him, she couldn't give him one impossible thing that he longed for the most—his mother. "The only thing we couldn't give him was his mother back," she said. Shelley, who lost her daughter and now her grandson, also opened up about Kelly's relationship with Jamie's father. "The relationship between my daughter and Stuart was not good," she noted according to Mirror.


"Stuart was often with other women and was a bully as a father. He once locked Jamie in his bedroom while he had another woman in the house," she revealed shockingly. Although Jamie hadn't been in contact with his father, Shelly feels that he was "left out"  by social services who didn't do enough to address his trauma. "For the first year, Jamie received counseling from Barnado's and was appointed a social worker who he never met and because of this Jamie was left out by social services in those early days," she said. It also impacted his behavior in school, she claimed. 



Jamie was expelled from Hermitage Academy in Chester-le-Street after which attend Elemore Hall School for pupils with social, emotional, and mental health difficulties. He was diagnosed with PTSD at 12. Despite this he kept working hard and was due to take his GCSEs in 2020, however because of the pandemic, he didn't get the grades he was hoping for. Nonetheless, he got into Derwentside College to study construction as he wanted to be an electrician. A few weeks after this he decided college was not really for him and instead began working as a gardener with his uncle. 



The teenager was due to receive his criminal compensation and was determined no to "waste" it. Jamie intended to buy a van and start a business with the money. His grandparents, who knew about his wishes, arranged for driving lessons as his 17th birthday gift. They say he was looking forwards to beginning his career and attending his uncle's wedding in Cyprus. But throughout this, his behavior kept changing and his past eventually caught up with him. "Jamie's behavior was up and down, when he was feeling down he would be very angry. He used to smash things. As he got older, he recognized his anger and would take himself away to calm down," said Shelley.



"When he was calm, he was lovely, you couldn't wish for a nicer lad. Jamie had low self-esteem, he couldn't accept praise. When he was told he was good at something he would not cope with the pressure and do something bad to jeopardize things. He loved football and rugby and loved cross-country running. Jamie was also very good at cricket and had a trial for the county and he loved clay pigeon shooting with his grandad Joe," she added. Despite attempting various sessions of counseling, he did not "want to talk about it anymore, when he got a new counselor he had to relive the trauma," noted the grandmother. It was revealed that Jamie began smoking cannabis, drinking vodka, and using cocaine to "self-medicate" and get a hold of his temper.



On the night of his death, Jamie was at Chester Park with friends and had called up his grandparents to pick him up But his grandfather had had two cans of cider and his grandmother didn't drive so Jamie said he would walk home. Witnesses revealed that the teen had been drinking that day and had jumped into a river with his cellphone in his pocket. He returned with a black-handled knife and started smashing a fence before police arrived. Jamie ran from the spot and his friend was called at 6 p.m. because he was the only one who could calm down the drunk boy. Almost two hours later they arrived at his friend's grandmother's place to get a lift but Jamie left the location as his friend went indoors. 

At around 9:30 p.m. he called his grandparents in a drunken state from a store's phone. "You don't understand, you don't have a clue. Alright nee bother," he was heard saying by a witness. Then at 9:48 p.m., he walked towards a train station, and at 9:50 p.m., he jumped onto the tracks and walked in front of a train. "For me, the most notable thing is that he stands for a minute and a half on the track then steps across to the other lane just as the train approaches. I'm satisfied that Jamie wished to take his own life, he was able to stand in the same position and purposefully step across," said  Assistant Coroner Leslie Hamilton.