He had apparently stopped to rest after walking six miles from his sales executive father's Ascot home following a furious row over drug abuse
19-year-old Lyndon Turner's frozen body was found in the car park of a commuter belt beauty spot just a day after he was thrown out of the family home by his father. He had apparently stopped to rest after walking six miles from his sales executive father's Ascot home following a furious row over drug abuse, reported the Daily Mail.
An inquest heard how the fight started after Turner was involved in a minor car crash a day earlier which his father Graham believed had been caused by his cannabis use. He was thrown out of the house and was later found when walkers at the park called the police the following day from Surrey beauty spot. Reports say that despite the best efforts of paramedics, they weren't able to do much to save him. Assistant coroner Karen Henderson confirmed Lyndon died of 'significant hypothermia'. "I am satisfied he found himself in Chobham Common on the night of December 1, 2020, that he fell asleep during that period of time, and given the time of year it resulted in significant hypothermia which is directly causative of his death," she said, according to the Daily Mail.
According to reports, texts between Lyndon and his sisters proved that the father and son shared a strained relationship after his mother Sarah Turner passed away three years ago. A 17-year-old boy was arrested and remains under investigation on suspicion of having supplied him with substance. The court heard that his father told him he was not welcome to stay at the house and thought he had friends who he could be with instead. Despite numerous inquiries, it was not possible to establish where Lyndon went between leaving his Ascot house six miles away and ending up in the common. Dr. Henderson further told the court that she had seen texts between Lyndon and his sister which indicated he was unhappy with the decision of his father and indicated the difficulties they had had, reported the Daily Mail.
It was further reported that the toxicology analysis did show that the teen had frequently used cannabis but the cause of death was hypothermia. Dr. Henderson summarised the case saying, "there were some difficulties with his family circumstances and due to a recent car accident and concerns of his father that he had been using cannabis, that he was asked not to remain at home. Sadly, he did not choose to find somewhere else to live."