Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's decision has disgruntled the members of the royal family. The queen is yet to comment on the announcement made by the couple.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been making headlines since the day their relationship became public. But, the last couple of days have been particularly significant as they announced a major decision that would change their future forever.
Attending the fund-raising reception in central London for Sentebale, a charity co-founded by the Prince to help the HIV infected children in Africa, Megan & he said he had "no other option" than to step down as senior members of the Royal family. Prince Harry began his speech saying, "I can only imagine what you may have heard and perhaps read over the past few weeks. So I want you to hear the truth from me as much as I can share, not as a prince or a duke but as Harry," according to BBC News.
Sentebale held an event on Sunday 19th January 2020, hosted by The Caring Foundation, to raise funds for Sentebale’s vital work supporting young people affected by HIV in southern Africa. pic.twitter.com/bxL2RqhiNS— @Sentebale (@Sentebale) January 19, 2020
He then went on to say he was committed to serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and his military associations despite his public funding being cut. "I will continue to be the same man who holds his country dear and dedicates his life to supporting the causes, charities and military communities that are so important to me. I've accepted this, knowing that it doesn't change who I am or how committed I am," said the 35-year-old.
The royal, who had previously talked about the impact of the British tabloid on his family life, once again addressed the issue. "When I lost my mum 23 years ago, you took me under your wing. You've looked out for me for so long but the media is a powerful force and my hope is one day our collective support for each other can be more powerful because this is so much bigger than just us," stated the Duke.
Continuing his speech, he promised the public that he would continue his mother, Princess Diana's legacy in supporting those with HIV and AIDS.
Prince Harry's personal statements come soon after the couple reached an agreement with the Queen and other senior members of the royal family. Based on the latest statement from Buckingham Palace, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not use their HRH titles. Additionally, the couple will withdraw from all royal duties including official military appointments. The couple will also reimburse the £2.4 million ($3.06 million) taken from public money to renovate their UK home, Frogmore Cottage. All of this will come into effect from spring 2020.
The decision was finalized after the couple announced their decision to step back from their roles through Instagram. "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family," informed the couple through their official Instagram account, Sussexroyal.
They added they were keen to become "financially independent." However, the royals assured that they continue working with Her Majesty The Queen. The couple also confirmed that the couple was planning to manage their time between the UK and Northern America.
The royals went on to say that the decision to balance between the two countries will allow them to teach their son, Archie to appreciate his royal tradition and also help the couple start the new chapter in their lives. "This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity," said the post.
However, the announcement made without consulting any members of the royal household had caused deep disappointment within the extended family. Just hours after the Instagram post, Buckingham Palace released a statement calling the situation, "Complicated."
"Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through," said the unsigned Royal Communications statement.
The decision came soon after the couple spent their Christmas holidays in Canada along with Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland.