Mother of 3 Left With Severe Burns After Her Hands Caught Fire & Hand Sanitizer Bottle Exploded Like A Bomb | She's Now In ICU

Mother of 3 Left With Severe Burns After Her Hands Caught Fire & Hand Sanitizer Bottle Exploded Like A Bomb | She's Now In ICU

Kate Wise managed to get out of her burning clothes while her kids went to get help.

Hand sanitizers have become a part of our daily lives and many of us are unaware of how careful we need to be while using them. One woman from Texas had to go through an unfortunate incident after a bottle of hand sanitizer exploded, leaving her with severe burns. 

Kate Wise cleaned her hands with some sanitizer before she went to light a candle at her home in the Austin suburb of Round Rock. With the sanitizer on her hand, her hands caught fire, according to the Daily Mail. She jumped up and accidentally touched the disinfectant bottle leading to its explosion. The incident left the woman with second- and third-degree burns on parts of her body including her face, hands, legs, and feet. Speaking to CBS Austin, she said that it was typical for her and her children to use the sanitizer during the pandemic as her 14-year-old daughter had numerous health issues. 

Source: GoFund Me Page

Narrating the incident, the woman stated, "When I pulled my hand back, I don’t know if there was some on the outside of the bottle or what, but when I pulled my hand back and the flame from my hand burning got bigger, it touched the bottle of alcohol so it was like the alcohol and the hand sanitizer mixed, and it just went off like a bomb. The girls started freaking out, like ‘Mom you’re on fire, mom you’re on fire," according to CBS Austin. 

“It can be something as small as lighting a candle. Because of the hand sanitizer, it just lit my whole ... everywhere I had hand sanitizer on my hand, it just lit my hand with fire," said Wise, speaking of the incident. She continued, "And it obviously went all over my face. And, in like a matter of five seconds, my whole body was just consumed in flames," according to KHOU11

Source: GoFund Me Page

Fortunately, her youngest daughter's quick thinking saved her life. They ran to their neighbors for help and the mother of three managed to get out of her burning clothes. Additionally, the brave woman got her pets and disabled daughter out of the house.  “After I knew that the girls were safe and after I knew the dogs, everybody, was outside away from the fire, I just went into complete shock. It’s something that you never want your kids to see. Because of the flames and the burnt eyelashes and eyebrows, it actually scratched my corneas,” said Wise, who worried about losing her eyesight, according to CBS Austin. 

The woman was then taken to the hospital. She is now recovering in the intensive care unit with severe burns all over her body.  


“This is a pain that I can’t even explain it. It’s literally your whole body, like your whole being, your nerves, muscles, it’s everything. Absolutely everything. Even now it’s like I wake up kind of reliving it," said the injured woman, according to CBS Austin. 

Wise revealed that the hand sanitizer was an off-brand product that she picked up from the local supermarket. 

Wise's friend Kathryn Bonesteel started a GoFund Me page to support her as she lost most of her furniture and other possessions to the incident. "She's lost her home, her kids are traumatized and she needs major reconstructive surgery," wrote the woman.


Bonesteel also claimed that the incident was unbelievable to her. “I just couldn’t imagine using hand sanitizer and catching on fire," said the woman, according to CBS Austin. She further added, "Be it face masks that are sold that are not really doing anything, watered-down hand sanitizer, toxic hand sanitizer there's been quite a few recalls. Or in this case, highly explosive products that we’re putting on our bodies and we’re using to protect our children as well.”

Meanwhile, Wise is grateful to be alive. “It makes me extremely happy to be alive. It makes me extremely happy to know that my girls are alive, and the rest right now just doesn’t matter," said the mother of three, according to CBS Austin.

She added, "During a pandemic, all of our houses are full of hand sanitizer, and alcohol and everything to kill germs. It’s raised awareness in my mind how I’m going to do things differently, and I think it’s just something for everyone to think about."