×
Police In Madeleine McCann Case Receive "Interesting Pictures" That Might Help Solve The 13-Year-Old Abduction Case

Police In Madeleine McCann Case Receive "Interesting Pictures" That Might Help Solve The 13-Year-Old Abduction Case

The prosecutor previously stated that the case needed stronger pieces of evidence.

Madeleine McCann's abduction case remains an unsolved mystery even after 13 years of investigation. Her parents have been patiently waiting to know the details of what happened to their beautiful child. Finally, the authorities have confirmed receiving some new leads in the abduction case.

According to Mirror Online, investigators probing McCann's case said they found some "interesting things" on the photos they got from British tourists in Praia da Luz, the place where the 3-year-old went missing in 2007. 

“We got leads from England, including ones from tourists on holiday in Portugal during this time," said Chief prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters.



 

He added, "We got some photos where there might be some interesting things on them. There are quite good leads we are following up.” While the news has increased the hopes of solving the case, the prosecutor stated they would take time to get hold of the leads. 

He stated there would be a further delay when the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. "Many things can’t just be clarified at short notice," said the prosecutor.



 

“In the EU everything was unified, and there was a uniform legal assistance between the European countries," he said. When the UK leaves the European Union, Germany will have to “make a formal request, which means that we then write a very formal letter and then query everything individually”.

Meanwhile, this news comes soon after the prosecutor claimed the suspect Christian Brueckner might not be charged until next year due to the lack of leads.

"I cannot say how long our investigation will go on for but I know there will be no developments this year, in 2020. We had hoped to charge him but that has not been possible," said Wolters, according to The Sun.



 

He added, "Maybe we hope to have something by the Spring of 2021, maybe it could take longer but certainly nothing this year. We have some evidence against our suspect but it is not strong enough. We have proof that he was involved and that he killed Madeleine but it's not strong enough to charge him."

The prosecutor further stated that the suspect can only be charged if they have stronger pieces of evidence against him. "We need more evidence and more witnesses but if we don't get them then the case may drop but we hope that will not happen and he will be charged," he said.



 

Previously, the authorities had stated that the 3-year-old was dead. They also informed the McCann family about it. "We have concrete evidence that our suspect has killed Madeleine," said the prosecutor at the time, according to the New York Post

The suspect, on the other hand, remains in prison after being charged for other cases. He was investigated over a sex attack on a beach near Praia da Luz and a 2004 rape case. However, Brueckner's lawyer Friedrich Fulscher insisted he was innocent in the abduction case of the little girl.



 

''The prosecutor has not revealed anything to us about the investigation. They are adamant but they are chasing someone who is just convenient to them," said Fulscher.

Madeleine McCann went missing during a family vacation to Portugal on May 3, 2007. Her parents tucked her into bed along with her siblings at the Ocean Club resort. However, when they came in to check on her, the girl had gone missing. Since then, the family has been trying to find their girl.

References: 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-madeleine-mccann-case-receive-23033004
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13086481/madeleine-mccann-heartache-suspect-charged-next-year/
https://nypost.com/2020/06/16/madeleine-mccanns-parents-told-there-is-concrete-evidence-she-is-dead/