When Ashley brought her conditioner from a store, she never thought of the slight possibility of it being tampered. "Hair is such a part of our personal identity and having to lose all of it without expectation or choice is an incredibly traumatic experience"
You rarely ever question the credibility of beauty products you pay good money for, but every once in a while, a strange incident makes the news which leaves you wondering if you should trust what's printed on the product. According to a recent report by Daily Mail, a young woman was left horrified to find out that the conditioner she had used on her hair was resulting in tufts of her hair falling out in clumps.
claimed that her daughter's hair fell out in clumps after using a conditioner that was tampered with a hair removal cream. The poor girl was forced to shave off her hair.
Taffy Jo Timm, a 44-year-old mother along with her daughter Ashley Rose had purchased a Pantene Pro-V shampoo and conditioner from a Walmart in Wisconsin on July 23, 2018. Days later the girl used the product and allowed the conditioner to stay on for 10 minutes before rinsing it. The events that followed was unexpected.
When Ashley went to wash off the conditioner, she noticed that her hair was falling out in chunks. "As she exited the shower, she realized that her hair had a foul odor to it, so she re-entered the shower and began washing it again. At this point, Ashley’s hair began falling out in massive clumps," her mother wrote. On seeing what had happened to her daughter, the distressed mother took to Facebook to raise awareness on product tampering.
The post was shared more than 75K times and caught the attention of several people.
In her warning post, she said that it is believed the conditioner was mixed with hair removal cream while in-store. "Attention new Richmond Walmart shoppers be aware of shampoo and conditioner you buy there as my daughter Ashley Rose bought some 2 days ago and someone mixed Nair in her conditioner bottle...As I speak she is losing hair and crying," wrote the mother. She went on to say that the product was pink instead of white and warned people of getting items from the store without checking it. "This conditioner is supposed to be white [and] is an ugly pink color."
Ashley who developed bald patches also experienced severe scalp burn. She then visited a hairdresser to see if extensions were a viable option. However, she was informed that it could lead to further hair fall. The girl soon realized that her only option was to shave off her hair.
"She has come to the heartbreaking realization that her only option at this point is to shave her head. Hair is such a part of our personal identity and having to lose all of it without expectation or choice is an incredibly traumatic experience," said the mother.
The devastated girl wrote online, "Check your bottles wherever you get them, nothing can be trusted anymore." The family started a GoFundme page requesting people to help fund the girl's wigs and also any potential medical and legal fees. The mother informed that that police were looking into the incident and were surveyinh the CCTV footage from the supermarket for possible leads.