×
Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies With Sugar Substitute, Xylitol

Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies With Sugar Substitute, Xylitol

Ruby ate two whole brownies and the xylitol content made her sick in just thirty-six hours.

Trigger Warning: This article contains details that may be distressing to readers.

Dog owner Kate Chacksfield from West London, England shared the story of her beloved dog's death in an attempt to educate other pet owners about the dangers of Xylitol, a natural sugar substitute. Her canine Ruby ate two whole brownies that contained Xylitol which is toxic for dogs. According to PEOPLE, it can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and even be fatal.  After consuming the brownies, the Vizsla got sick in just thirty-six hours. Nearly $13,000 in medical bills and eights days of illness later, she tragically passed away.



 


“I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry,” Chacksfield told Caters News Agency. Since Ruby snuck brownies in the past Chacksfield did not realize how serious the situation would be. She didn’t know Xylitol was so dangerous for dogs to ingest. Chocolate is also toxic to the animals.“I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating,” she said.



 

Chacksfield did not take the pooch to the vet immediately, and only did so when Ruby started showing symptoms of liver failure but by then it was too late. Chacksfield shared that if she had known how toxic Xylitol was, she would have not have wasted a single second and would have taken Ruby to the vet as soon as possible. “We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies,” she said. The grieving dog owner hopes to turn her personal tragedy into a teachable moment for other dog owners who may not know how dangerous Xylitol can be for canines. “It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog,” the owner added. According to Metro, she said, "I had absolutely no idea Xylitol was harmful to dogs what so ever and I was heartbroken when they told me and I knew it was too late for Ruby. I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death."



 

Dog owners should carefully read labels before feeding their canines. The substitute can be found in many sugar-free sweets, gums, spreads, and peanut butters. Most dog owners know about the dangers of chocolate, but there are other foods that are harmful to them as well. PEOPLE Pet Vet Dr. Evan Antin warns that human foods like onions and garlic, grapes and raisins, raw meat, raw eggs, and macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs. Not only do they cause serious health problems to dogs but they can also end up being fatal. If you have even the slightest doubt that your pet is sick because of something they ate, don't hesitate and take them to the vet immediately.