×
2-Year-Old Boy Dies Due to Respiratory Condition Caused by Exposure to Mold At Home
ADVERTISEMENT

2-Year-Old Boy Dies Due to Respiratory Condition Caused by Exposure to Mold At Home

The housing staff reportedly did not improve the family's living conditions despite repeated pleas.

Cover Image Source: YouTube/Channel 4 News
ADVERTISEMENT

Awaab Ishak, a 2-year-old boy, passed away in 2020 after reportedly suffering from respiratory conditions which were caused by exposure to mold in his home. According to BBC, the child resided in a one-bedroom flat with his parents Aisha Amin and Faisal Abdullah. Although the parents repeatedly raised complaints against the growing mold to Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH), no action was taken to improve their living conditions. It was concluded at the Rochdale Coroner's Court that Awaab passed away after suffering from a "severe respiratory condition caused due to prolonged exposure to mold in his home environment."

ADVERTISEMENT



 

 

The inquest heard this week how a health visitor conducted an inspection in the housing unit in July 2020 and contacted RBH to raise awareness about the mold they found in the home. However, she did not receive a response. The court also heard that Awaab was taken to Rochdale Urgent Care Centre on December 19 after he experienced difficulty in breathing and was transferred to Royal Oldham Hospital before being discharged. The boy's condition worsened the next day and he went into respiratory arrest followed by a cardiac arrest while being transferred to Oldham. He died after arriving there.