27-Yr-Old Man Dies Trying To Save His Fiancée's Life. They Had Just Started Their Life Together.

27-Yr-Old Man Dies Trying To Save His Fiancée's Life. They Had Just Started Their Life Together.

Mirza Danish Baig was extremely close to his family, especially his parents.

What was supposed to be an epic evening for Travis Scott’s fans who attended his Astroworld music festival in Houston, Texas, turned into a tragedy. The event, held at NRG Park, left eight dead and hundreds injured as concertgoers surged towards the stage during the rapper's performance at around 9:30 p.m. Because Scott has a huge following, mainly of the younger generation, the casualties ranged between 14 to 27. 27-year-old Mirza Danish Baig was one of those who sadly died during the performance. He was reportedly trying to save his fiancée Olivia Swingle from the wave of concertgoers, the strength of which was about 50,000, according to authorities.


"He managed to get it to where she was able to get out," shared Mirza's devastated brother Ammar Baig. Speaking to PEOPLE, he noted how Mirza eventually got separated from his 25-year-old fiancée amid the chaos. "Somehow, the ambulance managed to get to her, and then, by the time they got to my brother, they tried resuscitating him. And they said that before they got to the hospital, he couldn't make it," Ammar added. The 29-year-old then described the horrific scene as recounted by their younger brother Basil Baig, who also attended Friday's event. "People started hitting them, people started hitting his fiancée, started [doing] a lot of things to her. She's bruised up, and he was trying to save her. And no one there was there to help him," he said.


After months of planning, Mirza and Olivia traveled to Houston from Dallas to see the 30-year-old rapper and other famous artists. "He would always take care of his fiancée. He would always get her whatever she wants. They would always have goals, plans, all these things he had in his mind for them," said Ammar of the couple, who worked at AT&T. "He just started his life." He fondly remembered his late brother as a gamer, Dallas Cowboys fan, and a music lover, who would record in a studio he had built in his house. Mirza, who was a district manager at AT&T, was also an auto enthusiast who had plans of renting a Lamborghini for his 28th birthday, a milestone that was just days away. 


"He had a huge heart," expressed Ammar. "He would take care of everybody. He was basically the center that would bring everyone together. He was the funny one, the goofy one, the outgoing one. Our brothers and sisters have our own personalities, but he was the glue to it all." The deceased was the middle child of five siblings who was a baby when his family moved to Texas from Karachi. Mirza was extremely close to his family and even loved cooking with his mother, who taught him how to make chicken tikka and beef boti. The young man was known in the family for "making a lot of good barbecue" and as someone who cared for others, especially his parents.


"He was going to buy a house for my dad and my mom at the end of this month, and he's not going to be there to get the house for them," said Ammar through tears. "I'm the oldest brother, but he would do all the things that I should be doing. And he would be there for them any time they needed it." While on the way to his younger brother's funeral Ammar added, "We just want prayers for him." Explaining the reason behind the tragic event, Houston fire chief Sam Peña said, "The crowd for whatever reason began to push and surge towards the front of the stage, which caused the people in the front to be compressed — they were unable to escape that situation."


The distressed brother, who holds the organizers of the concert responsible for Mirza's death, said, "What happened to my brother is not right and it's unjust and we're going to find justice for him." He believes that the deaths could have been avoided had there been proper security and organization. "How was someone even allowed to have a 50,000 people concert with everything going on in the world? And this guy already has a bad track record of his concerts," he said of Scott, who was arrested for allegedly inciting a riot at his 2017 Arkansas concert before pleading guilty to disorderly conduct in February 2018 for the same. Apparently, Scott was not aware of the magnitude of the situation because of the lights that were "shining in his eyes."


However, on Saturday morning he addressed the incident and offered to cooperate with the Houston Police Department. "I'm absolutely devastated by what took place last night. My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival," he shared on Twitter and also promised to pay for the funerals of the eight concertgoers, including Mirza, who passed away.


The same evening, he assured his fans that he's "working right now to identify the families to assist them through this tough time," and that "My fans really mean the world to me, and I always want to leave them with a positive experience." Meanwhile, on Saturday afternoon, the Houston Police Department chief Troy Finner revealed, "This is now a criminal investigation that’s going to involve our homicide division, as well as narcotics, and we’re going to get down to the bottom of it."






Cover image source: YouTube Screenshot | Global News