If there is one person who is well-acquainted with grief, it is Keanu Reeves. Watching the people around him, from his best friend to his girlfriend to his daughter, never wake to see another sunrise, can be far worse that a heartbreak. And yet, despite the devastation and pain that imbues his life, one thing he has never forgotten to be, is kind.
To some, Reeves may be nothing more than just another actor, the character played in a movie they watched that one time. But there are those who see him as just another human being like the rest, one who has suffered loss, found strength and the will to keep going. And that is the part that we connect with. It is why his words are so inspiring. Whether it is about love, life, grief, death or struggles, his wisdom reaches into our depths and makes us realize that we are part of a world that contains so much beauty. But more than that, he teaches us that every single one of us, is worth it.
1. "If you have been brutally broken but still have the courage to be gentle to other living beings, then you’re a badass with a heart of an angel."
2. "You have to change your life if you’re not happy, and wake up if things aren’t going the way you want."
3. "Sometimes we get so caught up in our daily lives that we forget to take the time out to enjoy the beauty in life."
4. "I guess living without love, without experiencing it or being able to give it is pretty strong punishment."
5. "Even in the face of tragedy, a stellar person can thrive. No matter what’s going on in your life, you can overcome it! Life is worth living."
6. "It’s fun to be hopelessly in love. It’s dangerous, but it’s fun."
7. “Life is good when you’ve a good sandwich.”
8. "None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an afterthought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else."
9. "I cried over beauty, I cried over pain, and the other time I cried because I felt nothing. I can’t help it. I’m just a cliché of myself."
10. “It’s always wonderful to get to know women, with the mystery and the joy and the depth. If you can make a woman laugh, you’re seeing the most beautiful thing on God’s Earth.”
11. “The simple act of paying attention can take you a long way.”
12. "I believe in love at first sight. You want that connection, and then you want some problems."
13. "Sometimes enemies are our best teachers, people can learn from their mistakes, destruction sometimes means rebirth."
14. "I was also raised to treat people exactly how I would like to be treated by others. It’s called respect."
15. “Multi-culture is the real culture of the world – the pure race doesn’t exist.”
16. “Luxury is the opportunity to experience quality, be it a place, a person or an object.”
17. "Try to be wrong once in a while, it’ll do your ego good."
18. "Our dreams can teach us, instruct us, confuse us, sometimes I think they look to be considered. They are an opportunity and I think they most certainly could be utilized to focus, to try and achieve — whether it’s looking for someone, or influencing us, or inspiring us."
19. "It is incredibly empowering to know that your future is in your hands.”
20. "Falling in love and having a relationship are two different things."
21. "Every struggle in your life has shaped you into the person you are today. Be thankful for the hard times, they can only make you stronger."