20-Year-Old Woman, Who Was Declared Dead By Medics, Found Alive After Being Transported To The Funeral Home

20-Year-Old Woman, Who Was Declared Dead By Medics, Found Alive After Being Transported To The Funeral Home

The staff at the funeral home informed the fire department and the woman was admitted to the hospital.

Some incidents happen due to the carelessness of authorities. This tale from Detroit is such a tale. A woman was declared dead by experts but when she taken for her funeral services, she was found to be still alive.

According to Independent, a 20-year-old from Southfield was found unresponsive at her home by family members on 23, August 2020. They alerted the emergency services and found that the girl did not have any "signs of life." But, soon she was found to be still alive and breathing by funeral home workers.


According to WDIV, the Southfield Fire Department said that the paramedics performed life reviving techniques on her for 30 minutes but finally declared she was dead. The statement released by the department said, "At 7:34 a.m. on August 23, 2020, Southfield Fire Department paramedics arrived at a home in Southfield on a call for an unresponsive female. When paramedics arrived, they found a 20-year-old who was not breathing. The paramedics performed CPR and other life reviving methods for 30 minutes. Given medical readings and the condition of the patient, it was determined at that time that she did not have signs of life.”


According to Bill Mullan, a spokesperson for the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, the woman was pronounced dead by an emergency room doctor at a nearby hospital via phone with the help of real-time medical data such as heartbeat and breathing. They also stated that this method, known as telemetry is a common method, as per People.


Based on the report by the medical examiner, the forensic pathologist told the department that the body of the woman should be released to her parents and also claimed that there was no need for further forensic examination. "Because there was no indication of foul play, as per standard operating procedure, the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office was contacted and given the medical data. The patient was again determined to have expired and the body was released directly to the family to make arrangements with a funeral home of their choosing," said Southfield Fire Department in a statement, according to WDIV. 

Representational Image| Source: Getty Images (Photo by ER Productions Limited)

The woman was then transported to James H. Cole Home for Funerals in Detroit. Sources stated that the woman was moved to the home on Schaefer Highway between 11:30 a.m. and noon. “We can confirm that on Sunday, 23 August 2020 we received a call to pick up a Southfield woman who was deceased,” said the funeral home in a statement to ABC News, according to the Independent. 

The staff members at the home realized she was still breathing.

“After receiving clearance from the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s office she was transported to our funeral home. Upon her arrival at the funeral home, our staff confirmed she was breathing and called EMS," said the funeral home to People. The woman was then taken to a hospital. But her condition is still unknown.

“I talked to our medical people and they said she was breathing, she had a decent heart rate, she had decent blood-oxygen. But she was definitely alive when we got here there(sic)," said Dave Fornell, deputy commissioner of the Detroit Fire Department, according to the Independent.

Representational Images | Source: Getty Images (Photo by Virojt Changyencham)

While the fire department stated there was no foul play, according to WDIV, sources stated that the Southfield police called the fire crew again after they noticed the woman move and breathe. However, the department claimed it was only a side effect of the medication she was given.

On the other hand, the personal information of the woman and her family were not released. "In an effort to respect the privacy of her family, the Southfield Fire Department is not currently releasing personal information on the patient," said the statement. Meanwhile, the incident is under investigation.