Does your man treat you with the utmost respect? Are you with a gentleman? Here's how you can know you have a man of honour and integrity.
Remember Monica’s boyfriend Richard from the 90s sitcom Friends? He belongs to a rare breed of guys. No, scratch that. He belongs to a rare breed of men. He belongs to a rare breed called "gentlemen." One might even say this breed is on the verge of extinction.
Are you one of the lucky few who have found their gentleman? Here are 8 signs that can tell you if your partner is one.
1. He is honest. A gentleman never lies to his lady. He’s always truthful, even if admitting it puts him in a bad light. His integrity outdoes his ego.
2. He keeps his intimate life to himself. What happens between you two behind closed doors remains between the two of you. He’s not the one for ‘locker room talks’.
3. He is chivalrous. Women can open doors and take care of themselves. But a gentleman genuinely feels a need to make things easy for his lady. At the same time, he is respectful of your independence and takes pride in the fact that you can handle the tough world all by yourself.
4. He keeps his promises. He’s a man of his word. He does what he says he will. A gentleman knows breaking a promise would hurt anyone. Again, his sense of integrity is very important to him. He’s the kind of man you visualize raising your children with.
5. He does not struggle to apologize. He holds himself accountable for his behavior. The word "sorry" doesn’t feel like a frog in his throat. He’s mature enough to know when he’s erred and is willing to accept it and make amends.
6. He pays attention. A real gentleman makes sure he is all ears when you talk and is aware even of your non-verbal cues. He’s able to tell if you’re upset, even if you don’t let it on, because he’s picked up on the small and subtle things you do based on your mood.
7. He offers to pay the bill but is open to being equal partners. This is a tricky topic. While we know that women would rather be with someone who treats them as independent beings, a gentleman still offers to pick the tab in the beginning. Later, he may get comfortable with splitting or letting you pick the tab, but that comes from mutual respect not out of a need to be the provider.
8. He is kind to just about everyone. No matter how rude someone is to him, a gentleman never retaliates. He’d rather be his charming self and find a way to calm the other person down. He always chooses the high road.
9. He treats everyone equally. A gentleman always looks out for others. He isn't nice just to women. He reached out to those in need and is genuinely kind to children, the elderly, and those who may not be privileged. It’s so ingrained in him that caring for your comfort comes naturally to him.
10. He protects you. If you’re walking on the streets together, he makes sure that you’re well and away from the vehicles. He’d rather put himself between you and the road.